WELCOME TO Y3 PUFFIN CLASS
We are focusing on reading in class. If anyone has any spare time to help hear readers please let us know. Many thanks
Our learning through the year
- Countries around the World - (Harvest boxes 19th October, Carol singing at Pollards House 14th December )
- Tudors - (Hampton Court)
- The Rainforest
- Stone Age
Our topic this term is the Rainforest
Overview of this term
English: Diary writing (linked to rain forest topic), Stories with a dilemma (based on a film), Newspaper reports and explanations and play scripts.
Science: Plants and Rocks
PE: Tennis, swimming, athletics
Art: Colour mixing (looking at Margret Mae and Georgia O'Keefe). Sculpture chalk carving.
Design Technology: pneumatics
Topic - Geography - The Rain forest.
History: The Stone age.
French: Parts of the body, animals.
RE: Do Sikhs think it is important to share? Would visiting the River Ganges feel special to a non HIndu?
PSHE: Dreams and Goals; Healthy Me
Computing: Animations using Scratch, Finding and correcting bugs, e-safety
Monday- Mr Bowen: RE
Tuesday- Mr Bowen : Topic , computing.
Wednesday- Mr Bowen: Music (Mr Noble) PE (swimming)
Thursday Mrs Wilson: Tennis Art, French
Friday Mrs Wilson: Science
*Maths, English, handwriting focus daily
As a school we're focusing on home learning. This lets students apply their learning in new contexts. Each week, Y3 will be asked to participate in home learning activities. These will include:
- Mathletics. These activities work alongside the maths topics taught during the current unit. They are set each week on a Wednesday.
- Also ensure your child is completing their daily practice in their Basic Facts book. This needs to be brought into school everyday as we mark it together in class.
- Times table practice.
- please practice telling the time with your child at home, on an analogue clock, digital or one with Roman numerals.
We have given the children a times table sheet and they will be tested weekly on their tables. This may be changed as there is possibly a whole school initiative starting later in the year but until then, year 3 will be doing this. You child will be tested in the following order 1's, 2's 5's 10's 3's 4's 8's thank you for your support.
- Daily reading and discussion
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar - encourage your child to identify SPaG elements in their reading book. They all have their own copy of the SPaG booklet to help them.
- Spellings - we learn groups of spellings which follow rules which can be applied to other words and also be used in pieces of writing.
We shall have ten swimming lessons this term on Wednesday mornings. Thank you to those parents who have been able to offer help with walking and changing - we appreciate that this is impossible for many of you due to work commitments. Just a reminder that the children must always have a waterproof coat on swimming days. Anyone with hair long enough to go in their eyes must wear a swimming hat. Please check that goggles are adjusted to fit. Boys should not wear long, baggy shorts as this impedes their learning of good swimming techniques
A useful Maths Practice Book which follows the Year 3 curriculum objectives.
We will be looking at creating animations using Scratch. This is a great book by Usborne to use at home.